Rose Garden Picnic Area Reservations
This picnic area is in Guadalupe Gardens, a City Park, but reservations are handled by us, the Guadalupe River Park Conservancy! The area features four large, solid picnic tables on a decomposed granite pad. A coal-only BBQ can be unlocked for reservers of the Picnic Area. The site is adjacent to the world-class San Jose Heritage Rose Garden and has a nearby parking lot for the convenient loading of picnic supplies.
Special note: This is not the Rotary PlayGarden picnic areas. Click here to get more information about those.
To reserve THIS Picnic area, just follow these steps:
- Check the calendar below to see if your date is available. If not, see FAQs at the bottom of this page. If it is, proceed to step 2.
- Use the on-line form below the calendar to submit vital information and submit payment. We will confirm your reservation within 48 hours. Reservation made over the weekend will be logged first come, first served.
- Once we receive your reservation, it will be processed and you will be sent a summary which you need to sign and send back to us. We will also send you the rules and regulations.
- On the day of your reservation, arrive as early as 8 AM if you wish, but NO LATER THAN 10 AM and make sure you have a printed copy of your paperwork on hand. If no one is there by 10 AM with the paperwork, the reservation is void. No refunds.
Picnic Area Reservation Form
Frequently asked questions
What if the date I want is listed as “Not Available?”
This means someone else has reserved the picnic for that day. You have other options:
- Go to any City or County Park in the region on a first-come, first-serve basis. Some have tables and bbq’s.
- Check out the City of San Jose’s other reservable picnic areas by calling (408) 794-7275.
- Check out Santa Clara County’s reservable picnic areas
How many people can this site handle?
About 40. There are four large tables, and if you used them for nothing but sitting and eating, we think about 40 folks can sit there. But that might be pushing it. Plus that does not account for using one table to serve from.
Is alcohol allowed?
No, but the City and County both have sites that DO allow it, see info above to research other sites.
Are dogs allowed?
Yes, but there is a strict on-leash policy. Violator can be fined $100!
Are bounce houses allowed?
Not at this park.
Is this a good site for kids?
While there’s no play structure, there is a large grassy hill that has seen many a child roll down it.
What is the refund policy?
Reservations may be changed in writing (date or location) at applicant’s request.The cost for this change will be $20.00 and plus/minus the difference in site rental fees. There are no refunds for inclement weather. Cancellations must be requested in writing and submitted to info @ grpg.org. Refunds will be mailed to address on receipt 2-3 weeks following the date of cancellation or the event date. If paid by credit card, a reversal of the charges can be made minus the cancellation fee. Refunds will be issued for:
A. Cancellations requested more than 30 calendar days prior to reservation date minus a 25% cancellation fee.
B. Cancellations requested 30 calendar days or less prior to reservation date minus a 50% cancellation fee.
What do I do with the ashes after my BBQ?
Nothing! We will remove them for you. If you bring additional bbq’s, which is allowed, then you must dispose of those ashes yourself in a safe manner.
How close can my car get to the picnic site?
Pretty close actually. The map above shows the proximity of the parking lot to the site. Some lugging will still be in order though…please do not jump any curbs or open gates to get closer. Any cars found inside the gate will be ticketed.
Can I reserve the site for half the day for half the price?
Can I bring another grill, tables, chairs, etc?
Where are the nearest restrooms?
See map above. The nearest restrooms are across Taylor Street, which has a robust cross walk with flashing lights.
Can I hire a DJ or bring a sound system?
No amplified sound is permitted but if you keep the volume reasonable you can bring a small battery powered boom box or a blue-tooth speaker, but nothing larger. There is no electricity at this site.
Read More »
Read More »
Read More »
Read More »